Breyer, owned by Reeves International, started making plastic model horses in 1950. The first horse was the Western horse produced for the MasterCrafters Clock Company. In 1952, they started selling the horse themselves. The western pony was added in 1953, followed in 1954 by the riders for them, the racehorse & boxer dog. The early models were glossy finish. The company is still in business.